The law regarding employee benefits and retirement plans is a complex area, governed by federal statutes, regulations, administrative procedures, and pronouncements. The Employment Retirement Income Security Act (“ERISA”), the federal law governing employee benefit plans, frequently changes, as do the hundreds of related regulations and administrative agency interpretations.
We monitor new legislation and regulations to assist you in keeping your employee benefits and retirement plans in compliance with the law. The firm’s experience with issues related to employee benefit and retirement plans dates back to the inception of ERISA.
Our expertise in employee benefit and retirement matters includes:
- plan operation and administration
- plan qualification/requalification
- merger/transfer of assets
- plan termination, correction of operational and documentation defects in tax-qualified plans
- compliance with governmental regulations
A significant portion of our practice focuses on the planning, drafting and updating of qualified and nonqualified retirement plans and assisting our clients with ongoing compliance matters. We work with the Internal Revenue Service and Department of Labor on various plan determination letters, closing agreements, audits, and investigations.
Our attorneys are knowledgeable in the plans, accounts, and other programs that affect our clients:
- qualified and nonqualified deferred compensation plans (including profit sharing, 401(k), 403(b), 457(b) and 457(f) plans)
- employee stock ownership plans or ESOPs
- Section 125 cafeteria plans, including flexible spending account plans
- Section 403(b) arrangements
- individual retirement accounts or IRAs and annuities
- severance plans
- voluntary employee benefit associations (“VEBAs”)
- health reimbursement accounts
- adoption and education assistance plans
- disability income plans
- group health plans and medical expense reimbursement plans
- employee welfare benefits programs
- executive compensation and deferred compensation
Whether your business has 5,000 employees or 5, we are poised to help you with these matters.