Edmund H. CarrollPartner
Education and Experience
Georgetown University (B.A. in History, with distinction, 1980)
Marquette University Law School (J.D. 1985)
Counsel, U.S. House of Representatives Financial Services Committee (1985-1986)
Wisconsin - 1985
Iowa - 1986
Illinois - 1987
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Iowa - 1987
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Iowa - 1987
U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois - 1987
Member, American Bar Association
Member, Illinois State Bar Association
Member, Iowa State Bar Association
Member, Rock Island County Bar Association
Member, Scott County Bar Association
Member, Wisconsin State Bar Association
• Since 2010, recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law)
• Since 2011, recognized in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business (Corporate Law and Mergers & Acquisitions)
• Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished Rating
• Scott County Family YMCA, Visionary Leadership Award (2007)
Board of Trustees, Chairman of the Nominating and Governance Committee, St. Ambrose University
Board of Directors, Chairman of the Governance Committee, Scott County Family YMCA (Past Chairman)
Member, YMCA of the USA National Committee on Membership Standards Region II Subcommittee
Board of Directors and Past Chair, Genesis Health Services Foundation
Board of Directors, Genesis Philanthropy
Past Board Member (2002-2017) and Chairman of the Board of Directors, Assumption Foundation for K-12 Schools
Past Iowa Chairman, Georgetown University Alumni Admissions Program (1988-2017)
Speeches & Publications
Co-author, Organizing Corporations, Chapter 56 in M. Volz, Jr., 3 Iowa Methods of Practice (2014)
Co-author, "The Iowa Business Corporation Act: Corporate Governance Through the Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws," 40 Drake L. Rev. 805 (1991)
Author, The Palimpsest, “Davenport’s Golden Building Years,” March/April 1982, Vol. 63, No. 2, page 61.
Edmund H. Carroll, a partner who joined Lane & Waterman in 1986, has 33 years of legal experience. He is admitted to practice in Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin. Ed practices in Corporate & Transactional Law, dealing primarily with:
- preparation and review of complex contracts (e.g., agreements involving master services and supply chain, corporate financings and loans, guarantees, indemnification, hold harmless and limitation of liability, non-compete, buy-sell, licenses, releases, employment, employment terminations and independent contractors)
- negotiating mergers and acquisitions (e.g., agreements involving letters of intent, due diligence, confidentiality and non-disclosure)
- formation of partnerships, joint ventures and limited liability companies and their governance
- securities offerings, reporting and compliance
- intellectual property
- commercial real estate transactions and
- pension and profit sharing law.
Examples of representative transactions include:
- Significant roles in a $562,500,000 sale of a broadcast business involving two public companies, a $749,000,000 purchase of a media company involving a private and public company and a $1,460,000,000 purchase of a media company involving two public companies. Primary responsibility for Hart-Scott-Rodino premerger notification submissions for these transactions to the Federal Trade Commission and the Department of Justice.
- Acquisition or sales of well over 150 small and mid-size businesses across various industries.
- Representation of publicly-held companies involving federal securities law compliance, Exchange Act reporting and corporate governance, with primary responsibility for preparation of Securities and Exchange Commission filings disclosing a $840,000,000 debt financing of a public company and a $993,760,000 debt restructuring through a prepackaged Chapter 11 Bankruptcy.
- Primary responsibility for preparation of a Securities and Exchange Commission shelf registration statement in connection with the resale of common stock received by warrant holders.
- Negotiation of almost 350 real estate leases for a leading wireless communications company and its legacy companies.
- Negotiation of supply chain contracts with several of the largest Fortune 500 companies and several other large international companies that are expected to reach in the aggregate many billion dollars in volume.
- Representation of a major employee-owned international service firm in corporate governance matters involving stock valuation methods and seeking approval of the changes by the firm’s large number of employee owners.
Ed has been recognized by Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers in the fields of corporate law and mergers & acquisitions. Ed has also been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America in the fields of corporate law and mergers & acquisitions since 2010. From 1985 to 1986, Ed served as a counsel for U.S. House of Representatives Financial Services Committee. In 2007, the Scott County Family YMCA awarded Ed the Visionary Leadership Award.
Ed is active in the Quad Cities, currently serving the following community organizations:
- Board of Trustees of St. Ambrose University and Chair of its Nominating and Governance Committee
- Member, YMCA of the USA National Committee on Membership Standards Region II Subcommittee
- Board of Directors of the Scott County YMCA and past Chair
- Board of Directors of the Genesis Health Services Foundation
- Board of Directors of Genesis Philanthropy (Chair, 2016-2018)
For over 21 years, Ed served as the Iowa Chair for the Georgetown University Alumni Admissions Program. Also, for at least 20 years, Ed served as the Chair at the Assumption High School Foundation (Davenport, IA).
Ed received his B.A., in History, with distinction, from Georgetown University and his Juris Doctor from Marquette University Law School. He resides, with his wife Molly, in Bettendorf, IA. They have three adult children, working in San Francisco, New York City, and Columbus, OH.