Ask the Summer Associates: Gage Kensler
An Iowa Native, Gage joins us this summer before returning for his final year of law school at the University of Iowa College of Law.
- What drew you to Lane & Waterman as a place to spend your summer as a Summer Associate? Last summer I was fortunate enough to be a summer associate in a rural community of about 2,500 residents. This summer I wanted to try something different but still stay in Iowa so I applied as a summer associate at several firms in larger cities, one of which was Lane & Waterman. During the interview process, everyone here was so nice, and I felt like they actually wanted to learn about me. To me it seemed like Lane & Waterman had the best of both worlds; large enough to have a variety of resources and areas of interest to me as well as a friendly and cordial atmosphere.
- What area of law are you most interested in practicing? Since I have a science background, one of the areas of law that interests me the most is intellectual property.
- What area of law would you like to avoid practicing? The area I currently have the least interests practicing in is criminal.
- What has been your most interesting class in law school so far? Most interesting class so far in law school has been Introduction to Intellectual Property. After taking some of the required courses in law school it was the first elective I took and was also the first time I where I was in a class that had people from a variety of backgrounds and interests including some PhD students. I also believe that intellectual property has some of the more interesting and memorable cases; topics ranged in scope from popular song lyrics to corporate espionage.
- What book are you reading right now? I recently picked back up the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. I had started last summer but believe it or not, law school doesn’t afford much time for leisure reading.
- Where did you grow up? My hometown is Marengo, Iowa.
- What do you do for fun? During the summer I like to enjoy my time doing anything outdoors. I recently picked up kayaking.
- What are you most looking forward to about your summer work experience here? Being able to work on a variety of projects with different people.
Learn more about our Summer Associate program at https://www.l-wlaw.com/careers/summer-associates/.